Landlord’s Public Liability

Landlord could be liable to tenant

At CFP Brokers we have often informed our clients about their possible liability to their landlords in the event that their negligent actions or omissions lead to the damage of the premises that they lease.

If you are covered under the CFP Brokers’ policy, on an option which includes public liability, then where you rent your premises for the purposes of your professional practice, such liability (tenants’ liability) is covered (subject to the terms and conditions of the policy).

However, have you ever considered the situation in reverse- that if you are a landlord, you might face liability exposures from your tenants (or that you could hold your landlord liable for losses which you as a tenant might suffer due to their negligence)? In BusinessLaywers’ recent newsletter, Click here for the Newsletter this situation is discussed in an article with the byline, Landlord Liable for a Tragic “Freak” Flood Drowning .

 The article also discusses the use of disclaimer notices. Many of you have asked about the validity of these, and may even have some up on your own premises, so you might be interested to know what the Court found with regard to the disclaimer notices which the landlord tried to rely upon in his defence.

You might also be interested in some of the other topics covered in the BusinessLaywers’ newsletter:

Employers: Beware the “Casual Worker” Myth!

Companies: Are Restraints of Trade Valid in a Time of Covid?

Extended: The Rights of Grieving Parents to Choose Burial After Pregnancy Loss

Your Website of the Month: Protecting Yourself and Your Business in Flu Season 2021


Not sure what the difference is between public liability and medical malpractice?

Head on over to our Document Library and take a look at our explanations in our document called, “Definitions of commonly used insurance terms” and as always, feel free to contact us with any queries you might have.

Interested in finding out more about what BusinessLawyers can do for you?

If you would like to find out more about cover provided under a BusinessLawyers’ Policy, go to .You are welcome to contact us for assistance as we are able to place this cover for you.

Don’t forget!

Would you like to have your disclaimers reviewed? If you are covered under our CFP Brokers’ bespoke practitioners’ scheme wording- then you have access to Legal Assist, who can help you with this.

Such services are obtainable by contacting the ITOO Legal Assist line on 0861 102 033; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Legal Assist helpline is there to assist you with legal advice relating to your professional services/practice that is covered under the medical malpractice policy. This will include:

  • Contract reviews
  • Shareholder agreements
  • Supplier and procurement contract reviews
  • Employment-related disputes
  • Any other legal query that you may have regarding your business activities (your legal queries relating to your professional activities in your practice as a qualified/student/intern healthcare practitioner).







Comments are closed.